Connect with us

Sports

Mourinho Walks Off After Tottenham Denied By Late Newcastle Penalty

Published

on

 

Tottenham were denied by another controversial penalty given for handball deep into stoppage time as Callum Wilson’s spot-kick snatched a 1-1 draw for Newcastle on Sunday.
Spurs had just Lucas Moura’s goal to show for a dominant first-half display and were made to pay when Eric Dier was penalised after a VAR review as the ball brushed his arm in challenge with Andy Carroll.
Wilson converted the penalty with Newcastle’s first shot on target, prompting Jose Mourinho to march down the tunnel before the full-time whistle had been blown.
The drama did not end there as one of Mourinho’s assistants Nuno Santos was shown a red card for taking his dissent towards referee too far.
For all their complaints, Mourinho’s men will also have to reflect on not taking their chances before the break in front of the watching Gareth Bale.
The Welshman was all smiles in the stand, but was still not fit enough to make his second Spurs debut due to a knee injury, while Mourinho left Dele Alli out of his 18-man squad completely for the second straight league game.
However, with Harry Kane in supreme form there seemed little chance of a repeat scoreline from last season when Newcastle emerged 1-0 victors from the Tottenham Hotspur stadium on the third weekend of the season.
Karl Darlow in the visitors’ goal was busy from the third minute as he clawed out Giovani lo Celso’s free-kick and got up to block Kane’s follow-up effort.
The England captain tested the Newcastle stopper again with a diving header moments later.
Kane provided four assists for Son Heung-min in a 5-2 thrashing of Southampton last weekend and was the creator when Spurs did finally break the deadlock on 25 minutes.
Moura’s place is most at risk when Bale is fit to return, but reminded Mourinho of the threat he can post by bundling home his first Premier League goal since December from Kane’s low cross.
The Kane-Son connection nearly gave Moura another tap in as the South Korean’s attempted cross was cut out when he might have been better going for goal himself.
Son did go for goal when he twice hit the woodwork with shots from outside the box, while Darlow made another fantastic save from Kane’s long-range effort to somehow keep Newcastle’s deficit down to just one before half-time.
Spurs’ attacking flow was interrupted in the second-half without Son, who was replaced at half-time. But there was still precious little from Newcastle for them to fear at the other end until the dramatic finale.
Indeed, the closest the visitors came to scoring before the penalty was when Ben Davies smashed a clearance into his teammate Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg and the ball ricocheted wide a minute from time.
But on a weekend already marked by complaints over the new interpretation of the handball law in the Premier League, Tottenham were stung despite Dier clearly having no intent to handle the ball.
Hugo Lloris got a hand to Wilson’s penalty.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Tiger Woods Hospitalised After Car Crash

Published

on

By

US golfer Tiger Woods was hospitalized Tuesday after a car crash in which his vehicle sustained “ major damage , ” the Los Angeles County Sheriff ’s department said .
Woods, the sole occupant, was removed from the wreckage by firefighters and paramedics and taken to a local hospital for treatment , a statement said.
The extent of his injuries was not known . The roll -over collision near Los Angeles did not involve any other vehicles .

AFP

Continue Reading

E-News

FIFA Clears Eight Players For Super Eagles

Published

on

By

FIFA has cleared eight new players for the Super Eagles.
Fulham’s forward Ademola Lookman is on top of the list.
Others on the list are:
* Jordan Torunarigha Hertha BSC
* Nathan Tella Southampton FC
* Tosin Adarabioyo Fulham FC
* Ovie Ejaria Reading FC
* Noni Madueke PSV
* Sheyi Ojo Cardiff City

Continue Reading

Sports

Arsenal Complete Martin Odegaard Signing

Published

on

By

By Agency Report

Arsenal have made an official statement to confirm that they have signed Martin Odegaard from Real Madrid on loan. The 22-year-old Norwegian international has joined the Premier League heavyweights for the remainder of the 2020/21 season.
Odegaard was touted for big things upon returning from his impressive loan spell at Real Sociedad, having been recalled from a two-year spell with La Real early, last summer. However, the 22-year-old has struggled to nail down his spot in Zinedine Zidane’s side, managing just nine outings in all competitions till date. His situation alerted Arsenal, who have quickly moved to sign him.
The interest from Arsenal makes a great deal of sense, seeing as they have lacked a genuine creative powerhouse in the squad this season. While Emile Smith Rowe and Bukayo Saka provided respite in recent weeks, the Gunners have still been in need of another out-and-out attacking playmaker, especially following the infamous departure of Mesut Ozil.
On his part, the young Norwegian was intent on temporarily leaving Real Madrid, which brought Arsenal on the verge of signing him this week. With Los Blancos unwilling to let him join Real Sociedad again, Arsenal became the favourites to sign him and have now secured his services. Upon his arrival, Mikel Arteta expressed his delight at having landed Odegaard.
The Arsenal boss said, “It’s great that we’ve secured Martin to come to us until the end of the season. Martin is of course a player that we all know very well and although still young, he has been playing at the top level for a while. Martin will provide us with quality offensive options and we’re all excited to be integrating him into our plans between now and May.”

 

Continue Reading