Connect with us

Sports

Lewandowski Defeats Messi, Ronaldo To Win FIFA’s Best Player Award

Published

on

Agency report

Robert Lewandowski has defeated the golden duo of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo to win the FIFA ’s player of the year award .
Lewandowski ’s stellar season for all -conquering Bayern has already been recognised by UEFA who awarded the Polish striker European player of the year in October.
Lewandowski has become the second player to interrupt the 13 – year Messi-Ronaldo hegemony .
Messi won the 2019 FIFA best men ’s player award .
Messi and Ronaldo were both among the three finalists for the first time in 2007 , when Kaka won . Since then each has missed making the top three only once and the only other player to win the award , in its various guises , was Luka Modric in 2018 .
At 32 , Lewandowski has had a breakthrough season. While he has won the Bundesliga in each of his first six seasons at Bayern, finishing as the league’ s top scorer in four of the last five seasons , his international profile has been hurt by Poland ’s mediocre form and his failure, at Dortmund and Bayern , to win the Champions League.
Last season, he was spectacular as Bayern won every game in Europe . Lewandowski finished with 15 goals in the competition , five more than the next best striker, Erling Braut Haaland .
Messi was top scorer in last season’s Liga, but that was a rare bright spot in a disastrous year , the low point of which was an 8 -2 loss to Bayern in which Lewandowski scored and the 33 -year – old Argentine did not.
While the 35 -year – old Ronaldo finished as his club ’ s top scorer as Juventus won Serie A , he could not propel his club past Lyon in the Champions League round of 16 .
The Best awards began in 2017 after a brief merger with the Ballon D ’ Or and the FIFA Player of the Year award , which was created in 1991 . FIFA added a women’ s award in 2001 and now hands out 11 sets of its 6 . 4 kg platinum -coated trophies .
The winners are chosen by national team captains and coaches, more than 200 journalists and fans.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Ozil In Final Stages Of Move To Fenerbahce

Published

on

By

Mesut Ozil is expected to sign a three-and-a-half year deal with Fenerbahce that will see the Arsenal’s out-of-favour German midfielder switch England for Turkey.
The reports came after the 32-year-old, a World Cup winner with Germany in 2014, fanned speculation by tweeting a photograph of himself in Istanbul with the words: “This city … #throwback #Istanbul.”
Sports daily Fanatik reported that Fenerbahce chairman Ali Koc and team director Emre Belozoglu flew to London to persuade the player, who is of Turkish origin, to make the move.
A Fenerbahce spokesman did not immediately respond to AFP’s query.
Other reports on Tuesday said Ozil was in talks with MLS side DC United.
The player’s agent said his future should become clearer within the next 10 days but his priority was to stay at Arsenal.
“Mesut’s priority is to stay, but you never know in football, things can change very fast,” Erkut Sogut told ESPN.
“For the moment, we are just checking all the options for January and the summer.”
“In the next seven to 10 days, it will be a little clearer as now the transfer window is open, things can move faster,” he added.
Ozil moved to Arsenal from Real Madrid in 2013 and is the highest paid player in the Premier League club’s history, on a reported £350,000 ($480,000) a week, but he has not played all season and does not appear to be in coach Mikel Arteta’s plans.
He has expressed frustration over his treatment at Arsenal, who are looking to trim numbers.
Ozil stirred controversy in 2019 when he criticised China’s treatment of the Uighur Muslim population in Xinjiang in a social media post, with Arsenal distancing themselves from his comments.
But he will apparently be earning far less at Fenerbahce as DHA and Fanatik said the proposed deal was worth five million euros ($6 million) a year.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was Ozil’s best man at his 2019 wedding in Turkey.
Fenerbahce, one of Istanbul’s three big clubs, are currently fifth in the Super Lig.

Continue Reading

Sports

West Brom Boss, Allardyce Labels Arsenal ‘Genuine Relegation Contenders’

Published

on

By

Former England coach and West Bromwich Albion manager Sam Allardyce has cautioned Arsenal that their status as a Premier League club is at stake if the Gunners do not turnaround their miserable PL campaign.
Arsenal shockingly find themselves in 15th place on the premier league log, securing 14 points from 14 games played. With their last win in the league being a 1-0 win over Manchester United on November 1
Following a 4-1 Carabao Cup semi-final loss to Manchester City on Tuesday, falling to eight defeats 14 league games, Allardyce has admitted that Arsenal have to be considered as genuine relegation rivals, alongside West Brom due to their string of poor results.
Allardyce said: “If they are in the bottom eight at the moment, yes. Absolutely,” Allardyce said when asked whether he believed Arsenal should be seen as potential relegation candidates.
“Getting beaten again [Tuesday] night – even though it is not in the league – as it does with our players, drains the confidence of Arsenal’s players. Of course, it will.
“They will be wondering what’s hit them, they will be wondering why they are down there. They will be wondering what it’s going to take to get out of that position. I know what it takes, I hope I can convince the players to respond to what I say on what it takes to get out of it.
“I hope that we can push at Arsenal when they play us because they have a lack of confidence, and try and beat them or anybody in the bottom eight.”
Arsenal will square off against West Brom on January 2, 2021, a fixture the baggies boss has labelled a relegation six-pointer.
But before then, Arsenal welcome Chelsea to the Emirates for the boxing day clash, while West Brom faces a daunting trip to face league champions, Liverpool at Anfield, who are on a sixty-six game unbeaten streak at Anfield.

Continue Reading

Sports

PSG Closing-In On Final Agreement With Pochettino

Published

on

By

By Agency Report
After parting ways with Thomas Tuchel, Paris Saint-Germain have chosen Mauricio Pochettino to become the new first-team coach.
The French club have made contact with the former Spurs manager and the parties are in talks to reach an agreement on the basis of a 18-months deal, with an option to extend the contract for an additional season. The final agreement could be reached in the coming hours.

Continue Reading