Katsina Emirate Council has banned open grazing of animals within the Katsina metropolis and its surrounding communities.
This is coming on the heels of the Federal Government’s opposition to the ban on open grazing by Southern Governors in their meeting in Asaba, Delta State, some months ago.
It came as Kaduna State government confirmed yesterday the death of 25 persons in renewed attacks on four communities of Kauru Local Government Area of the state by bandits, who also attacked some homes at Suleja, Niger State, abducting five persons, including two children.
This is even as one of the abducted students of Government Secondary School, GSS, Chibok, Borno State, and her husband, a Boko Haram-ISWAP terrorist, have surrendered to troops in the North East.
The ban on open grazing in Katsina Emirate was contained in a statement signed by Wakilin Kudin Katsina, Alhaji Abdu Iliyasu, yesterday.
Iliyasu said the directive became effective from Tuesday, August 3, adding that machinery had been put in place for its effective implementation.
Spokesman for the Katsina Emirate Council, Mallam Iro Bindawa said he was out of town and could not comment on the development until he returned.
It will be recalled that Governor Aminu Masari had last month, revealed that President Muhammadu Buhari had approved N6.25 billion for the state for a ranching project, adding that N5 billion of the money had already been made available.
In Kaduna, the state government yesterday confirmed the death of 25 persons in attacks on four communities in Kauru Local Government Area of the state.
Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Mr Samuel Aruwan, confirmed this while giving an update on the attacks on Ungwan Magaji, Kishicho, Kigam and Kikoba villages of Kauru Local Government on Tuesday. He also said property worth hundreds of millions of naira were also damaged during the attack.
“The figures bring the total number of those who died in the attack to 25, with three persons injured, 68 farms destroyed and 63 huts burnt,’’ he said.
The commissioner said Governor Nasir el-Rufai had already conveyed his deep condolences to the families of those who died in the attack, prayed for the repose of the victims’ souls and wished the injured a speedy recovery.
The government directed the state emergency management agency to conduct an urgent assessment of the affected communities, adding that further developments would be communicated to the public.