Connect with us

Sports

FIFA Approves Five Substitutions During Matches

Published

on

Football teams will be allowed to use five substitutes when play resumes after the coronavirus pandemic, the sport’s law-making body announced on Friday.

The International Football Association Board said in a statement that it had agreed to a proposal by world governing body FIFA for a temporary change to the rules “to protect player welfare”.

Teams face likely fixture congestion in a packed calendar as they attempt to make up for lost time when play can resume.

The lay off is expected to have an impact on player fitness levels too.

It also said that competitions which were using video assistant referee would be allowed to drop it for the time being.

The change will apply to competitions scheduled to be completed by 31 December of this year, although FIFA and IFAB left open the possibility that the period could be extended.

While teams will be able to make five substitutions, “to avoid disruption to the game, each team will only have three opportunities to make substitutions” as well as at half time or before extra time.

In competitions that allow an additional substitution in extra time, teams will have an additional substitution opportunity.

The previous limit on outfield substitutes for top-level competitions has been three in regulation time.

The IFAB said the change had been made “as matches may be played in a condensed period in different weather conditions, both of which could have impacts on player welfare.”

It added that “the decision on whether to apply this temporary amendment will remain at the discretion of each individual competition organiser.”

It said that, together with FIFA, it “will determine at a later stage whether this temporary amendment would need to be extended further.

That means the measure could be maintained for the whole of the 2020-21 season and right through to the next European Championship, which was postponed by a year until June and July 2021 because of the pandemic.

“If the measure is still in force, UEFA could then adopt it for the Euro,” a source said.

It remains to be seen if the measure could be left in place permanently, but doing so may play into the hands of the wealthiest clubs with the largest squads and greatest strength in depth.

(AFP)

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Tiger Woods Hospitalised After Car Crash

Published

on

By

US golfer Tiger Woods was hospitalized Tuesday after a car crash in which his vehicle sustained “ major damage , ” the Los Angeles County Sheriff ’s department said .
Woods, the sole occupant, was removed from the wreckage by firefighters and paramedics and taken to a local hospital for treatment , a statement said.
The extent of his injuries was not known . The roll -over collision near Los Angeles did not involve any other vehicles .

AFP

Continue Reading

E-News

FIFA Clears Eight Players For Super Eagles

Published

on

By

FIFA has cleared eight new players for the Super Eagles.
Fulham’s forward Ademola Lookman is on top of the list.
Others on the list are:
* Jordan Torunarigha Hertha BSC
* Nathan Tella Southampton FC
* Tosin Adarabioyo Fulham FC
* Ovie Ejaria Reading FC
* Noni Madueke PSV
* Sheyi Ojo Cardiff City

Continue Reading

Sports

Arsenal Complete Martin Odegaard Signing

Published

on

By

By Agency Report

Arsenal have made an official statement to confirm that they have signed Martin Odegaard from Real Madrid on loan. The 22-year-old Norwegian international has joined the Premier League heavyweights for the remainder of the 2020/21 season.
Odegaard was touted for big things upon returning from his impressive loan spell at Real Sociedad, having been recalled from a two-year spell with La Real early, last summer. However, the 22-year-old has struggled to nail down his spot in Zinedine Zidane’s side, managing just nine outings in all competitions till date. His situation alerted Arsenal, who have quickly moved to sign him.
The interest from Arsenal makes a great deal of sense, seeing as they have lacked a genuine creative powerhouse in the squad this season. While Emile Smith Rowe and Bukayo Saka provided respite in recent weeks, the Gunners have still been in need of another out-and-out attacking playmaker, especially following the infamous departure of Mesut Ozil.
On his part, the young Norwegian was intent on temporarily leaving Real Madrid, which brought Arsenal on the verge of signing him this week. With Los Blancos unwilling to let him join Real Sociedad again, Arsenal became the favourites to sign him and have now secured his services. Upon his arrival, Mikel Arteta expressed his delight at having landed Odegaard.
The Arsenal boss said, “It’s great that we’ve secured Martin to come to us until the end of the season. Martin is of course a player that we all know very well and although still young, he has been playing at the top level for a while. Martin will provide us with quality offensive options and we’re all excited to be integrating him into our plans between now and May.”

 

Continue Reading