Connect with us

E-News

COVID-19 Vaccine: FG Confirms 8,439 Nigerians Experience Adverse Effects After Vaccination 

Published

on

The federal government has confirmed that a total of 8,439 cases of mild, adverse effects occurred over the application of the AstraZeneca vaccine in Nigeria.
The cases, according to the government, came out of over a million persons vaccinated with the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
Disclosing this, the National Primary Healthcare Development Agency, NPHCDA explained that
52 persons suffered moderate to severe adverse events at inoculation.
Executive Director of NPHCDA, Dr Faisal Shuaib, speaking at a joint press conference with the World Health Organisation, WHO, on Friday in Abuja, said while the mild reactions included body pains nausea, and swelling, the moderate to severe adverse events presented were fever, vomiting, diarrhea headaches, dizziness, and allergic reactions.
He said Kaduna State recorded the highest rate of AEFI with 970 cases, followed by Cross River State with 859 cases, Yobe 541 cases, Kebbi 511 cases while Lagos recorded 448 cases of adverse events.
Dr Shuaib, however, insisted that so far, there has been no case of death or blood clot recorded from the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine vaccination in the country, he maintained that the vaccination rollout in the country has been marked by safety, efficiency, best practice, and speed.
He said: “When incidents, no matter how rare, appear in populations receiving the vaccine, relevant authorities must investigate to determine whether there may be a connection between the medical incident and the vaccine.
“At this stage, different countries are taking different approaches. In Nigeria, since the vaccination program was officially rolled out on 15th of April 2021, a total of 8,439 mild Adverse events following immunization (AEFI) have been reported.
“There has been no death from the administration of the vaccine. We have also not diagnosed any case of blood clots related to the administration of the vaccines.
“Nevertheless, we are working with NAFDAC, NCDC, and other relevant agencies to set up a more active surveillance system built on our experience with polio surveillance.”
Shuaib who disclosed that the challenges encountered in Kogi state have been resolved by the Presidential Steering Committee (PSC) on COVID-19, said 16,900 vaccines have been delivered and the Covid-19 vaccination campaign has been launched in the state.
While noting that inoculation of frontline health workers has been completed in many states and vaccination has proceeded to the elderly particularly those within the age of 65 years and above.
He, however, expressed worry some persons were skipping the eligibility lines to access the vaccines before it got to their turn.
“We are not unaware of attempts by individuals who are not eligible to access the vaccines. With willing accomplices, it will not be surprising that some may succeed.
“When people skip the eligibility lines we have established to access the C-19 Vaccines ahead of frontline health and other workers, then they should ask themselves if it is ethically and morally right to jump the queue ahead of those who need the vaccines the most.
“In anticipation of this, we have deployed structures and personnel to ensure these acts are minimized to the barest minimum. On this note, I wish to commend the Chairmen of the ICPC, the EFCC, and their personnel for the enthusiasm and dedication with which they have joined our quest for vaccine utilization transparency and accountability.”
On the global shortfall of COVID-19 vaccines, the ED noted that Nigeria has reassessed its vaccine supply forecasts and taken the decision that everyone who has taken the vaccine in the current phase would get the second dose before the next consignment was delivered to Nigeria
Commenting on the alleged mismanagement of COVID-19 vaccines at Falomo clinic, Lagos State, he said investigations have revealed the reports were inaccurate and do not represent what transpired in the mentioned locations.
“One thing that the PSC and the Lagos State Government are aligned behind, is zero tolerance to diversion of Covid-19 vaccines. The vaccine is free to all Nigerians irrespective of social standing.”
Country Representative, World Health Organisation (WHO) Dr Walter Mulombo who raised concerns over the COVID-19 vaccine equity amongst countries, noted that the WHO was working assiduously towards ensuring countries like Nigeria without the means to acquire or manufacture the vaccines have access to the vaccines to immunise their citizenry.
“For Nigeria being among the few countries outside that group, WHO is currently engaging the G7 and G20 to try and increase pressure on those countries hoarding the vaccines so that they will redistribute the vaccines and make them available through the COVAX facility or bilateral agreements to countries that need them the most
“WHO is also engaging the manufacturers for technology transfer so that we can have more sites that will manufacture the vaccines in order to scale up production but we have to recognise that we are facing challenges even within the COVAX facility.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Banks’ CEOs Hold Emergency Meeting Over BDCs’ Forex Ban 

Published

on

By

Bank Chief Executive Officers on Thursday, held an emergency meeting on how to ensure compliance with the new forex directive of the Central Bank of Nigeria.

After the meeting, they spoke during a webinar organised to give an update on the banks’ preparedness to be the main channel of forex distribution, following the recent discontinuity of forex supply to the BDC operators by the CBN.

The executives assured the public that banks would make forex available to customers in accordance with the CBN’s directives.

After the last Monetary Policy Committee meeting, the Central Bank Governor, Godwin Emefiele, had ordered all Deposit Money Banks to set up teller points at designated branches across the country to fulfil legitimate FX request for personal travel allowance, business travel allowance, tuition fees, medical payments and SMEs transactions, among others.

Speaking at the webinar, the Group Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer, Access Bank Plc, Herbert Wigwe, said, “The banking industry as a whole was willing and ready to carry out this function. The banks have very strict compliance measures, in terms of verification and making sure that people who do apply are eligible.

“All Nigerian banks will be able to meet these requirements. If you look at all the branches nationwide, you will know that the banks have more than enough capacity to do this.”

He said if the banks saw any compliance issues, or people attempting to do things cunning, they would be reported to the CBN because the banks would ensure full compliance with the order.

The Group Chief Executive Officer, Guaranty Trust Holding Company Plc, Mr Segun Agbaje, while speaking on the capacity of the banks to meet the customers demand, said, “It is not only the CBN that has the ability to fund the market; the banks also have the resources to meet the demand, and we have agreed collectively that it will start immediately.”

Continue Reading

E-News

Nigeria Needs $2.3tn To Address Infrastructure Deficit, Says FG

Published

on

By

Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, said that the country need $2.3tn to address its national integrated infrastructure masterplan.

He said this in Abuja on Thursday at a town hall meeting themed: ‘Nigeria’s infrastructure revolution: Road to a new future’, organised by Business Hallmark.

According to him, the 23-year masterplan (2020-2043) is for the development of infrastructure including roads, railway network and maritime sector.

The event was chaired by a former national chairman of the All Progressives Congress and former governor of Edo State, Chief John Odigie-Oyegun.

Mustapha said, “Conscious of the economic disruption caused by 2016 recession and COVID-19 as well as challenges of previous reforms, the Federal Government revised the 23 year (2020-2043) national integrated infrastructure masterplan that identified critical enablers.

“For the 23-year period, $2.3tn will be required, translating to about $150bn annually and the private sector and other partners have to provide 56 per cent, while Federal Government and state governments will provide 44 per cent of the share of the investment.

“The Federal Government has made important strides towards providing much of our infrastructure and has, in recent years, conducted several infrastructural reforms.

“Specifically, we are extending and upgrading the nation’s railway network and introducing more locomotive couches. The port sector has been converted to landlocked model and terminal.

“Similarly, Public Private Partnership style infrastructure company with an initial seed capital of N1tn envisaging to grow over time to N6tn in assets and capital has been established and will soon commence operation.

“It will be one of the premier finance entities in Africa and will be wholly dedicated to Nigeria’s infrastructure development.

“The reduction in Nigeria’s infrastructural gap will also give the country a competitive advantage under the newly signed Africa Free Continental Area Trade Agreement.”

The Minister of Water Resources, Suleiman Adamu, deplored the water crises in Nigeria saying no community in the country enjoyed water supply always.

He said, “In 1992, 30 per cent of the Nigerian population was enjoying pipe-borne water and as of 2015, it had dropped to seven per cent.

“In 2015, we were at 68 per cent national coverage for access to water and as of today, we are at 70 per cent and maybe by the time the result for 2021 comes out, we might be at 71 per cent to 72 per cent.

“As for water quality, 90 per cent of water consumed, including water from the boreholes, are contaminated and water is the basic necessity of life.”

Oyegun, in his contribution at the event, said six years going, the performance of the regime of the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), had been mixed.

Continue Reading

Business

NERC: Over 1m Electricity Consumers Have Received Prepaid Meters

Published

on

By

Prev1 of 2
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse
Prev1 of 2
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse

Continue Reading